Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pros Of Being Married



I like being married.  I always wanted to be married, even as a little kid.  Although I can't imagine why, my parents didn't like each other very much at all.  


One reason is faithfulness.  What is that you ask?  It is when a person stays (with their mind and body).  That is how I look at it, from a very simplistic view point.  They stay when it might seem easier elsewhere.  Faithfulness is a pro of marriage because each person can fail and succeed with the assurance that they will wake up tomorrow with that person still next to them.  It matters because you are investing in a life.  If you feel that tomorrow your 401k is going to crash, you get out now, but that is a crappy way to have to feel about marriage.  Faithfulness means you are investing in a person who is going to stay, they may come up and they may go down but over the long haul it is a gain.  


Which leads me to another reason.


I like being married because I get to see courage in action.  Courage was demonstrated to me when my husband took my hand, slipped a ring on my finger and showed me he agreed to love me even if I got old and ugly!  It took courage to admit that he would love me because he knew that he too would get old and ugly!  He showed courage as my belly grew with child and fear rose up in him that I might always look like that!  I might be one of the ladies that doesn't regain their shape after birth.  He showed courage by staying with me and looking for a brighter day.  Thankfully we found one when my kids were born and we could both breathe a sigh of relief that we had made it through that tough time.  My brave husband shows courage because every day that we are together he invests a little more of his life with me knowing that our time on this earth is short, and that one day it will come crashing down and one of us will die.  We, either he or me, will have to suffer the greatest loss on this planet and yet he continues down the course with me as brave as any soldier.  


I think another pro of marriage is the obvious, one that cannot be unmentioned, and that is, the behind closed doors part!  This is a part of life and a part of marriage... I won't unmention it because I am a Christian but I also won't get creepy or loose on you here either because I believe that what goes on back there behind closed doors is holy, and beautiful, and fun and totally none of your business... except to say that it is a part of marriage that is a PRO!  


Another pro is that I get to live with my very best friend.  We share history.  Granted sometimes my memory is short and I forget our history.  It is history regardless of who forgets it!  We have it together.  Remember the time that we... remember when so and so did this... do you remember that old what's her name... and on it goes.  We get to have that together.  We get to giggle at the inside jokes that only we know and would take a lifetime to explain to anyone else.  We get to pick each others zits in the moonlight and marvel at the grossness of our human predicament.  We get to fight and make up.  We get to be a team.  There is stuff that I am better at.  There is stuff that he is way better at.  I like that.  He isn't threatened by me because he doesn't have to be.  I don't need to be as strong as him, I like it when he is better at things, and smarter, because he is my husband.  Why would I marry an idiot?  What would that say about me?  (insert big laugh here!)  Yet, he knows I am smart, and likes that I am because I am the other half to his team, and he wouldn't marry an idiot!  Sound familiar?  


Those are just some of the reasons why I think marriage is great.  It is what you make it.  Sometimes it is harder than other times.  On the other side of a hill is usually a downhill.  But there is no other person that I would rather share this ride with that him.  My sweet Mr. P.  





No comments:

Post a Comment